OFFICE COORDINATOR FOR THE UNIVERSITY OF VICTORIA PRIDE COLLECTIVE
UNIVERSITY OF VICTORIA STUDENTS’ SOCIETY
1. Office Coordinator for the University of Victoria Pride Collective
1. The Office Coordinator will be responsible to the UVic Pride Collective and to the
University of Victoria Student Society (reporting through the general manager).
2. The Office Coordinator, together with the elected UVic Pride Collective Coordinators, will
supervise the person/s hired for the Work Study position.
1. Uphold and make available the UVic Pride Collective Constitution and Bylaws and all
current policies. Develop (update, review, clarify, draft) these core documents as necessary.
2. Organize and participate in Collective and General Meetings and ensure that meeting
minutes are taken and posted after the meeting.
3. In collaboration with the Pride Collective, organize projects and events relevant to the
4. In collaboration with the Pride Collective, provide advocacy for queer persons on campus
and in broader communities.
5. Maintain and make available a current list of community resources and supports for
reference and referrals.
6. Support volunteers with the organization and maintenance of the Pride library as necessary.
7. Assist the Resource Coordinator to collect and develop resources for the Pride Centre.
8. Work with Collective members and the Advocacy Council representative to establish and
maintain relationships between UVic Pride and other advocacy groups on campus and in the
9. Serve as a resource person for committees, volunteers, and project leaders.
10. Other duties as required.
1. Along with the elected coordinators: check and respond to e-mail, phone messages, and
postal mail and manage online communications (mailing list announcements and website
2. Along with the Collective Coordinators develop job description, work plan, train, supervise
and evaluate Work Study staff.
3. Organize maintenance as needed to ensure the office space is accessible, clean, and
4. Maintain regularly scheduled office hours.
5. Ensure that UVic Pride committees, volunteers and project leaders have access to materials
and space required for their dedicated activities.
6. In collaboration with the Safer Space Coordinator, work to create safer spaces within the
office and at events.
7. Other duties as required.
1. Minimum one year experience working and/or organizing within a social justice
2. Experience in an organizing or leadership capacity involving advocacy or activism
3. Strong understanding of and demonstrated commitment to anti-oppressive and inclusive
organizing and practices.
4. In depth knowledge and understanding of and commitment to working against all forms of
oppression and marginalization
5. Ability to articulate what a safer space might look like and have strategies for upholding a
6. Demonstrated commitment to upholding the values within Pride’s Constitution and policies,
especially the Anti-Oppression and Anti-Racism Policy
7. Understanding of the implications of organizing on stolen Indigenous lands and a
demonstrated commitment to anti-colonial practices and values
8. An understanding of internalized oppressive values and how they affect safer spaces.
9. Demonstrated ability to organize, prioritize and ensure projects reach completion.
10. Ability to effectively work within a collective and independently.
11. Demonstrated understanding of collective-based decision making and experience with
facilitating collective conversations
12. Excellent written and verbal communication and interpersonal skills.
13. Experience working with a computer (orientation to Mac OS X and Microsoft Office will be provided) Training and resources on anti-oppressive practice and inclusive language will be organized or
provided as needed.
This is a one year term, part-time unionized position with the United Steelworkers at 15 hours a week during the school year and 20 hours a week May 1st – August 31st.
This position is restricted to self-identified queer and/or trans* people (refer to Charter of Rights and
Freedoms, Article 15, subsection 2).
UVic Pride works to create spaces that are inclusive, respectful
and welcoming. Discussion of accommodations required for employment is welcomed. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted directly.
How to Apply: Please provide a cover letter, resume, and two work or volunteer references VIA email
to email@example.com with “UVIC PRIDE COLLECTIVE – Office Coordinator job application” in the
subject line by MONDAY, APRIL 22 at NOON.
If you are unable to scan and email your application, printed copies can be delivered to the SUB
General Office room B128 in the Student Union Building. Please reference “UVIC PRIDE COLLETIVE – Office Coordinator job application” on your documentation.
Posted Tuesday, April 16, 2013.
DEADLINE FOR APPLICATIONS IS MONDAY, APRIL 22 AT NOON.